Thursday, July 9, 2009

The Gluten-Free Adventures Continue


So I just recently finished my two-week trial without the wholesome and comforting embrace of our dear friend Mr. Wheat. And how did I celebrate the end of my two-weeks experiment? By gorging on cake, pie, cookies and other delicious goodies at Jeff's family get-together on the 4th of July. I suffered a stomachache and ended the night around 11:30 where I went to lay down at Jeff's brother's house (I had good company though because his brother's girlfriend was there too with a twin stomachache.) You would think after this experience I would have jumped back on the gluten-free bandwagon the very next day. You would be wrong.

I took this opportunity to experience the pleasures of wheat and unhealthy eating when Jeff place the order to Pizza Hut that Sunday night. I have to tell you that food never tasted so good in my life. The breadsticks, the veggie pizza, all tasted as if they were commissioned by an artist and a gourmet cook. I don't know if it was because I knew I shouldn't be eating it or because my taste buds had had two weeks to crave wheat. I don't know, but it was divine.

Cut to Monday morning: stomachache, bloating and a general bad feeling about myself. Bagels. From Panera. My weakness. I couldn't resist. My resolve had been noticeably weakened for two days prior and I was defenseless in Panera's clutches. I watched co-workers wandering around the building clutching these wheaty rings and I knew I was done for. I ate one. I suffered. Almost immediate bloating and.....other after-effects.

It is now Thursday and no stomachache. No wheat on Tuesday or Wednesday and this morning. All signs are pointing toward me eliminating the wheat for good. I already feel better but I know it will take a few more days for it to be out of my system. So, as of now, I may have an answer to my year and a half battle with stomachaches, GI issues and the such.

No comments:

Post a Comment