Monday, June 29, 2009

Update: No-Fun Food


I am a week into my gluten-free experiment and so far there have been no stomachaches or general crappy feelings. So sadly, I must admit, maybe it really IS wheat that is the culprit in my myriad of GI complaints.

The week started out shaky as I ate a salad with my all-time favorite salad dressing (Annie's Naturals Goddess dressing)and lo and behold, it contains soy sauce and yep......you guessed it, soy sauce contains wheat. I also made a super-delicious Thai peanut stir fry with peanut sauce that also contained soy sauce, ergo wheat. It has been a challenge for me to continue healthy eating while on this plan since whole grains have long been a staple of my vegetarian diet and the soy-based meat substitutes I am addicted to all contain wheat as a binder. I found I was eating easy to grab snack food that I normally don't eat (such as potato chips, etc.) because I know they don't contain gluten and I wouldn't have to cook an elaborate meal.

So, I think I hit my stride yesterday with my meals. I was able to make easy meals that were nutritious and low-calorie:

breakfast: 1 cup. plain *oatmeal with 1/4 cup of dried fruit and 8 almonds
1 Yoplait light yogurt

lunch: 1 c. of vegetarian chili
1 cup of DeBoles corn-based spaghetti
1/4 c. shredded cheese

dinner: salad with caesar dressing
edamame in pods
small baked potato with light sour cream

snack: handful of mixed nuts

Now, if I can only eat this everyday I will be fine. Bored, but fine. Tomorrow a new challenge will be presented as Jeff and I were invited to go out to eat with friends of his and they picked...Doantelli's. Good thing they have a gluten-free pizza there. I hope it tastes just as good as their others but something tells me it won't.


* re: oatmeal: I know a lot of people who cannot eat gluten do not eat oats and oatmeal because it may be cross-contaminated by wheat. I have chosen to forgo this notion since I do not have celiac disease (as far as I know) and I am on a restrictive enough diet as it is.

No comments:

Post a Comment